Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Super Weekend!

This past weekend, we were in the Panhandle to visit with family and go to a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert. Joe bought tickets 2-3 months ago to see TSO. We were very excited to go because Lora and Gary said they would watch the kids Wed evening through Thursday evening! That meant Joe and I could enjoy the concert, stay in Amarillo, and then continue our date on Thursday! YEAH!!!!!!! We haven't done anything like that since Grey was born so it was well overdue! Our original plan was to fly up to Amarillo Tuesday afternoon to get into Dumas by supper time, but we missed our flight so we waited until the next flight (9:15 pm) and didn't get into Dumas until after 1:00 am... Needless to say we (Joe and I) were exhausted. The kids however woke up at their normal time and my mother and father-in-law took over. Thank you! Joe and I got to sleep in for an hour or so longer! : )

Pop-Pop and the kids made biscuits the first morning we were there. Yummy!

Later that afternoon (Wed), Joe and I headed to Amarillo to start our date...

I got the pics out of order, so I will start with what we did Thursday.


After breakfast, we looked for a movie to go to, but couldn't find one interesting enough to spend money on, so we decided to go to KN Root Beer for a coke date! I have lived most of my life up in the Panhandle and never knew this little hamburger place was here! Apparently, one of the drink sizes you can get is the Texas size. Joe ordered a large root beer and this is what he got...


The Texas size! HUGE! That glass at least held a quart of root beer! I love this pic - Joe was taking the most hilarious pictures! Afterwards, we headed to the Quarter Horse museum. We had always seen this museum in Amarillo, but have never gone so, we went!
This place was magnificent - absolutely beautiful! This horse is in the foyer right when you walk in. Behind it was the Grand Hall!
It too was beautiful! To give you perspective, the doors are at least 10 foot high. The ceilings were at least 30 foot high. The medallion at the back was huge too!
This will help you put it in perspective. Joe is 6'1".
The museum featured many of the quarter horses and their owners through out the prominent blood lines. Pictures of the owners, jockeys, horses and belongings were displayed beautifully behind glass in a timeline. The museum also had a room for children that featured many tactile activities to help children learn about horses. We had a wonderful time!

The night before...
We headed for the concert. Joe got us front row center tickets and WOW what an awesome view! We were so close, we got to see everything including the subtle cues the band members gave each other as well as facial remarks they gave one another during the concert. It was great!

The concert was Beethoven's Last Night. Find out more about the storyline here and here.

This guy played Mephistopheles. He had an incredible voice.
Back up singers as well as two of the TSO guitarist, Chris Caffery and John Lee Middleton.
The narrator told the story, of course, between the songs. His speaking voice was also incredible!
This singer played Beethoven - again, an amazing voice!
Keyboardist, incredible!
The other original TSO guitarist, Al Petrilli.
The laser show was so intense...
I thought I was going to have to put my sunglasses on for a sec.
This violinist was my favorite! He would run around, jump up and down, stand on one foot, bend backwards, and still play his instrument with perfection! And, he would do all this smiling!

This lady played Beethoven's love when he was younger. In recent years, she had sung for Yanni. Her voice was so pure and flawless.
Another incredible violinist.
Joe and I had an awesome date! I have never been on the front row of a concert before and it was an experience I will never forget!

Back in Dumas...

Sweet pic of Bobbie and Pop-Pop and the kids!

Now, back in Amarillo (boy did I ever get these pics out of order)
Our "friends" as Grey calls his cousins...so cute! Thursday evening, we met up with everyone at a delicious Mexican restaurant. Grey and Joleigh were so excited to see their cousins. I think the cousins were excited to see them too!

Thursday evening, after we got back to Dumas, we celebrated Bobbie's birthday and Mother's Day. This years Mother's Day gift was extra special for both Lora and my Mom. I framed recipe cards that were in their mother's handwriting. Over a year ago, my friend, Angie gave me the idea to frame special recipes. So, Mom gave me three of her mother's recipe's. I framed a Homemade soap recipe and a Gingersnap recipe. Lora ended up finding not only one of her mother's recipes, but also a recipe her father had written. They all turned out really nice. Next time I'm up, I will take a close up picture.

On Friday...
We headed up to Mom and Dads to visit and celebrate Mom's birthday and Mother's Day!
Another sweet picture. I think its neat that I got both pics of Grandparents in front of Irises.
We also got to see Aunt Branda!
We had a wonderful afternoon and evening together.
After celebrating, the kids were pooped out!

They fell asleep on the way back to Dumas!

The next morning, we flew back home.
Joleigh got to sit in her own chair for the first time!

After a very busy weekend, we all took a nap when we got home! We had a great time! Can't wait to see our family again!

1 comment:

  1. aww! fun weekend! great pics- you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete