Saturday, March 19, 2011

I don't think he gets it...

Grey has been trying an "oldie but a goodie" for getting out of going to sleep. I'm sure you all are familiar with this one - "Mom, I'm thirsty!" So, to nip it in the bud, I told him I knew what he was doing. Here's how it went down:

Grey: "Mom, I'm thirsty - can you bring some water?" (without giving me a second to respond)
"MOM, I'M THIRSTY - CAN YOU BRING ME SOME WATER (and as I'm walking into the room...) "I want lemon in it - can you put lemon in it?" (as if he knows he is going to get some water and I'm going to be the one to give it to him...)

Me: "Grey, we need to talk about this first. I have noticed you've been wanting water every night now for a few nights when you are supposed to go to bed. You are four years old - you need to be responsible for getting your own water BEFORE you get into bed. You know when it close to bedtime - we put on our pj's, brush our teeth, read a story. This is the time to get water - not when you are already in bed. I think you are doing this because you are not wanting to go to sleep - I know what you are up too... do you understand what I am saying?

Grey: (without skipping a beat - looking at me so innocently...) "Can you put lemon in it?"


(And if you're wondering - I did give Grey a drink of water...but sure as shootin' - it DID NOT have lemon!

(And tonight - he remembered to get his own water!!!) Way to go Grey! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment