Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Arguing with a two year old...who wins?


Yesterday, I found myself caught right in the middle of an argument with Grey (again)...I use the word argument lightly. I realize of course, that I am the adult and could stop this immediately, but its usually too late and I am caught. At breakfast, I asked Grey if he wanted a spoon or a fork. Without allowing him to respond I said, "Nevermind...a fork would be best." Grey immediately responded by saying, "Mo, a moon." I explained that a fork would be best to use because he was eating eggs. His response was the same. I then sat down and explained (again) why a fork would be best showing him the difference between a fork and a spoon. Didn't help - same response. I then realized there's no hope in winning this so I gave him the "moon". Of course you do realize that if I would have told him the spoon would have been best, he would have wanted the fork.

I think Grey likes to have certain arguments with me because he knows I will fall for it. His favorite is during a diaper change. It is his responsibility to get out his diaper and wipes for me and bring them to where I am. He has two different diapers - daytime and nighttime - And, Grey knows the difference between the two - "daytime bo" and "night-night bo".

Usually our conversation will go like this most daily:

Me: Do you need a diaper change?

Grey: Mo (this is his immediate response for most everything)

Me: Grey...let me see. Yes, you need a new diaper - go get the diaper and wipes.

Grey: (in a sweet innocent voice) night-night bo?

Me: No, Grey. It's daytime. You need your daytime diaper.

Grey: Night-night bo?

Me: No. Go get the right diaper.

Grey: Running and crying to his room "NIGHT-NIGHT BO!"

Me: Grey, we go through this all the time. You know the right diaper to get out.

Finally, Grey will get out the correct diaper and bring it to me or by this time, I have followed him into his room. As I am changing his diaper, he will say. "Daytime Bo" and smile.

Now, of course, I should catch on and sometimes I do, but I really think he enjoys this "argument".

And, I ask again...who wins? : )

2 comments:

  1. Just go with it. Sometimes that is the most conversation that you might get for a while. I enjoy a VERY few of Gracie and my arguments and it is usually over something like taking our big gir panties with us to the store...we don't show people our panties Gracie!!!

    ReplyDelete