Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Vegetable Fajitas

Tonight, I made veggie fajitas for supper. They were so delicious I wanted to share the recipe with you!

You can use just about any vegetable that you like. I used:
1 red pepper
1 small yellow onion
Portabella mushrooms (2 large caps)
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
asparagus
fajita fixins - sour cream, cheese, avocado, and anything else you would like : )

Joe found an awesome dry rub recipe on line:
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder

I cut the veggies into thin slices and then placed them onto a cookie sheet (I needed two), drizzled olive oil and the dry rub onto the veggies and tossed. You may not need to used all the rub - just depends on how many veggies you have. To have a healthier meal, I decided to bake them in a 400 degree oven (until the asparagus was tender - maybe 20-25 min). You might want to put the asparagus in first and then add the other veggies 5 minutes later so that they don't get mushy. Because I didn't know how spicy the ground red pepper would be, I added that later to the rub after I put it on a separate veggie dish for the kids. But, as it turned out, I think Grey could have eaten the more spicier veggies.

As I was cooking, I thought it would be a great idea to have this dish for a party. All your fixins could be on a large platter in the center of your table. My sister has a huge galvanized square platter from Southern Living (so cute) that would be perfect! Then, each person could have their own tongs to fix their fajitas! Wouldn't that be fun! And the tongs could be personalized some how (perhaps by color or design - like a fondue set) so as not to get them mixed up with the person sitting next to you!

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as my family and I did! Oh, and one more thing...buy freshly made tortillas. That totally makes a difference in the taste!

Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment