Friday, October 8, 2010

Wipe first...then wipe again

Joleigh has been interested in using the potty. When she sees Grey go to the bathroom, she'll want to try. Usually this is before a bath or when we are getting ready to eat. Yesterday, she said she wanted to go the potty, so I helped her. She took off her britches and diaper (by herself), and then asked me to help her onto the toilet. Afterwards, she didn't want my help with her balancing on the seat - she wanted to do this part by herself. Then, after a couple of seconds of just sitting (and I mean, just sitting - nothing else going on...), she says she's finished and then gets off the toilet with her pants at her ankles and shuffles to the side to flush (she loves that part). So thinking she's done I try to pick her up to wash hands and put a diaper on her but she told me "No, Mommy!" and then shuffled to the other side of the toilet to tear off one square (yes, just one) of toilet paper. Standing, she wiped and then put the "dry" paper in the potty. She then looked at me and smiled so big. Boy was she ever proud of herself! So again, I tried to pick her up to wash her hands again and she said, "No, Mommy!" and shuffled back to the other side of the toilet and flushed a second time. After that, she was ready to continue her day.
So, today, I was not surprised by this little routine she now calls her own except she has added just one little step. After she shuffled to flush and then shuffled to the other side to tear off her one square of toilet paper, she first wiped her nose and then using the same tissue wiped "again"! She added this step in so quickly I didn't have time to tell her to use another piece of toilet paper. After she finished flushing and washing her hands, I just had to giggle and be thankful that she didn't wipe her nose second...that's when she and I would have had to have a little talk about hygiene!

No comments:

Post a Comment