Last Friday, we loaded up in the van (yes, even Bailey) to look at Texas Bluebonnets and other beautiful wildflowers! Although we have gone the past three years, and have seen beautiful wildflowers in fields all my life, this was the year with the most incredibly beautiful flowers! This was definitely the year to go!
Our Day
Our first stop was at a Clydesdale farm near Sealy. The owners have taken care of horses all their lives. The husband is a farrier by trade and is known around this area as the only farrier to shoe large horses. The picture above and the following two pictures are of the same horses. I took several other pictures of the other horses, but they didn't turn out. This mare, named Ellie, just gave birth to this very large foal just a week prior. To put the size of the horse into perspective, the fence that this mare towers over is over 6 feet tall!
The owners are naming this precious foal Chloe. She was fun to watch when she got out of her kennel. She would jump around and try to trot to keep up with her mother! So cute!

Here's Mommy and Baby again! Chloe is jumping up and down with all four feet in the air at times. Ellie keeps a close eye on her "little" one!
All the horses, I think they had around 8 or 10, were the sweetest, most docile animals. They can be trusted with the littlest of animals around them including a sweet Shetland pony just a couple of feet tall! All they wanted was to be loved and petted. As a matter of fact, they would crowd us up against the fence just trying to nuzzle up against us. One just stuck his head in his owners arms because he wanted his head to be held. Very sweet!
After a fun time on the Clydesdale farm, we headed back into Sealy to eat lunch. You will see those pics soon. I got them out of order. After lunch, we headed up the scenic Texas Highway Trail to see Bluebonnets and other beautiful flowers!
We took a small detour off the scenic route and decided to make our own trail. Pictured above is the field we decided to stop at to take our first round of pictures!
I think Joe got some great shots here! I love this picture because they are all focused and doing something. Grey is playing with a flower, Joleigh is petting Bailey, and Bailey is enjoying the petting and the view!
Daddy and the kids...
Mommy and the kids...
Cute shot!
I asked Grey to let Joleigh smell his flower.
Sharing secrets!
Taking something off of Joleigh's face...what a kind thing to do!
Love this shot too!
Bailey is in heaven!
Grey started to explore the field and turned back to see us just as Joe took the picture.
LOVE IT!
OK, I had to include this picture because it reminds me of the opening to Little House on the Prairie when the girls are running through the wildflowers! Every time I see this pic, I start humming the tune to the show!
Beautiful! I think this flower may be a Squawfeather but not sure.
Joe really likes this picture because the red flowers are surrounding the Bluebonnet as if they are protecting the State Flower!
This picture is supposed to be further down...sorry. (One I post a picture, it is very difficult to move it, so I'll just leave it here. The kids are looking at Bluebonnets.
Here are the pics from our picnic. We stopped at a historical park in Sealy. It had great playgrounds for the kids and a nice area to have a picnic. I chose a special menu for our picnic because growing up, Mom would always make fried chicken and potato salad the night before we left on vacation. We would then have a delicious meal waiting for us for lunch. I want to continue that tradition, so I have done the same thing for two years now. I also, baked peanut butter cookies and had a nice bowl of fresh strawberries! Not to brag at all, but the food was excellent because Joe and I didn't have breakfast and we were starving. Food is just that much better when you're on a picnic and of course, truly hungry!
Grey enjoying his cookie!
Joleigh is enjoying the camera more than her food!
After the kids ate, we let them play on the playground! Both had a great time! Grey loves to climb and...
...Joleigh loves to swing!
Both like to slide!
Whee!
The park was surrounded by historical homes on one side. I loved this sweet yellow house!
After we got back on the road, we continued exploring small roads here and there and ended up in Brenham. We found a nice area that had beautiful wildflowers and was off the highway, so we stopped and took more pics. The majority of the flowers in this field were Bluebonnets!
King of the Hill!
Love this picture too because everyone is looking at something different!
So sweet!
Smelling the flowers!
This is a sweet picture. We found a pink patch of flowers near the bluebonnets! By this time, it was in the afternoon and the kids, especially Joleigh were getting...
...tired and pouty.
Notice the flowers in her hand.
Grey picked them for her. She kept them in her hand from that moment on.
Still pouting...
Then Joleigh perked up when she noticed Grey running around and having a blast! So, she started after him (with flowers in hand). I called for Grey to come back so...
...he did! Right towards Joleigh. I really thought he was running to greet her, but...
...he wasn't.
Just look at that ornery face! Both kids had a great time! Bailey had a great time too!
I'm surprised Grey didn't fall asleep on the way home!
I'm not surprised Joleigh did!
Looking forward to next year's trip!







beautiful pictures! looks like ya'll had a wonderful day and an awsome lunch. makes me hungry for fried chicken!
ReplyDelete